- What are your qualifications? (Ask for designations to be explained)
- Personal Tax Planning
- Retirement Planning
- Estate Planning
- What experience do you have?
- What is your approach to financial planning?
- Do you concentrate on a particular type of client?
- How do you keep clients informed?
- What type of services do you offer?
- Financial planning on a wide range of topics
- Advice only in specific areas such as estate planning or taxation
- Sell financial products such as insurance, stocks, bonds and mutual funds
- Will you be the only person working with me? Who else? What are their qualifications?
- How will I pay for your services?
- For example per hour, commission per transaction, % fee on asset value
- Inside RRSP, Outside RRS
- Can I have written agreement that details the services that will be provided?
- Could anyone besides me benefit from your recommendations? (Underwritings, Sign-up Bonuses, etc) I would like any potential conflicts of interest laid out in writing.
- How are you regulated and how are my rights protected?
- Have you ever been publicly disciplined for any unlawful or unethical actions in your professional career? Explain.
You are interviewing a person you will ideally have a working relationship with for 20 years or more!
“Do not care what the person knows until you know the person cares!”