We offer an entrepreneurial yet disciplined approach to investing. By following a portfolio approach, we create a customized portfolio to meet your investment objectives, while recognizing how much risk you can accept.
- Understand your needs and goals
- Create your personal Investment Policy Statement
- Build your custom-designed portfolio
Manage and review your portfolio on an ongoing basis
One of the most difficult challenges investors encounter involves deciding how your money should be invested, especially if you have built up considerable assets. As your financial situation becomes increasingly complex, you will require professional assistance with the management of your wealth, and someone you can trust, one who has your best interests at heart. But the truth is, most Canadian investors today are over-charged, under-serviced, and ill-advised.
As independent wealth managers, we don't sell off-the-shelf, one-size fits all products. Instead, we provide customized investment solutions. We make independent investment decisions based on intrinsic value, not the flavor of the day. We strive for realistic, low-risk, long-term growth. We charge lower fees than our competitors and believe in complete objectivity, transparency and accountability.
Investing is dynamic and complex. Those who have built significant wealth know that it requires professional expertise and guidance. Developing the correct balance between risk and reward, proper asset allocation and coordinating it with a comprehensive financial plan to address important insurance, tax and estate planning issues is essential to providing you with a secure and meaningful future. This is where we can help.
We believe an active investment management approach can deliver excellent results over time, but only if done right. An active approach can help smooth out the ups and downs that are sure to befall you if you simply buy an index or do not employ a balanced, diversified approach to investing. By keeping your costs low and employing unique investment strategies, you can better your chances of being successful.
- We employ an entrepreneurial, yet disciplined, institutional approach to investing, creating balanced, diversified portfolios that bear less risk than the overall market.
- We follow a conservative growth and income investment management style
- We are value investors. We do extensive research and buy based on intrinsic value, focusing on delivering above average returns over a 3-5 year period of time.
- We strive for a good batting average; looking for consistent singles, rather than trying to hit home runs. We aim to keep volatility and turnover low.
- Our portfolios mostly contain conventional, high quality securities, but we will invest in over-looked and less efficient areas of the market in our search for value.
- Our fixed income portfolios will include some corporate and high yield securities in order to provide diversification and enhanced income.
- Our equity portfolios are diversified by geography (typical 2/3 Cdn equities. 1/3 Global equities) and by industry sector. We avoid holding concentrated (i.e. > 5%) positions in individual stocks. Cyclical industries are generally de-emphasized.
- We employ conservative options strategies (i.e. covered call and put writing) where appropriate to provide a higher level of income and for risk management purposes.
- We charge lower fees and strive to employ tax-efficient investment strategies.
- By employing a fee-based approach, our interests are properly aligned with yours by focusing on the preservation and growth of your assets.
We are committed to understanding your investment needs, determining your risk tolerance and comfort level, and developing a realistic investment solution to meet your long-term objectives. Developing the correct balance between risk and reward, allocating assets properly, and coordinating insurance, tax, and estate planning issues are all essential to providing you and your family with a secure and meaningful future.
Trust, confidentiality and integrity are the cornerstones of our practice and commitment to you. Our clients value our caring and personal approach and know they can rely on our expertise and professionalism. Our most important job is to listen and understand you and your family's investment needs and to give you the peace of mind that you are being properly looked after.
We offer complete transparency with respect to our fees, so that you know what you are getting in return. For instance, our fee is all-inclusive of segregated investment management, custody and trading, a personalized financial plan, will and estate consultation, insurance review, comprehensive tax reporting and regular portfolio reviews. We are not here to sell you the flavor of the day, but rather to be your trusted financial advisor.
Importantly, we can provide you with the confidence that you are dealing with a firm that is backed by the resources of Canada's largest and most respected corporation. As well, our trustee and custodian is RBC Dexia, and our auditor is KPMG. This further helps to provide peace of mind that you are being well looked after.
Financial Planning: We develop a comprehensive financial plan to help you meet your goals, such as investment, retirement and education planning.
Tax and Estate Planning: We review your asset holdings, wills, powers of attorney and overall estate plan to provide tax-efficient strategies to build, manage and transfer your wealth.
Insurance Planning: We analyze your life, disability, critical illness and long-term care needs to guard against unforeseen risks, so as to provide for you and your loved ones.
For a more comprehensive overview, please refer to our Wealth Management Process (PDF)
While there is no such thing as a typical client or investment profile, most of our clients have investable assets of at least $500,000.