Giving. It’s the spirit of our humanity; a very personal expression of our beliefs and life experiences.
Whether your goal is to enhance life-saving medical research, inspire educational efforts, sustain environmental initiatives, support the arts, or simply help people in need, your charitable gift can have a substantial impact; both locally and globally.
In addition to having a lasting impact for both you and your family, there may also be an immediate benefit. To encourage charitable giving, the government provides you with a tax credit when you make a donation to a registered charity. This donation tax credit can be used to reduce your taxes payable. A further tax benefit is provided if you donate certain securities in-kind. There are many strategies to consider including:
- Gifting publicly traded securities
- Donating flow-through investments
- Donating shares acquired through employee stock options
- Donating exchangeable shares
- Donating depreciated securities in-kind
- Establishing a charitable foundation
One convenient way to create your legacy is to establish a Charitable Gift fund. This provides a simple, efficient, and tax-effective method to help you realize your philanthropic goals while maximizing your donation flexibility. Through a Charitable Gift Fund you:
- Receive a donation receipt
- Recommend an investment strategy
- Recommend grants from the fund to charities of your choice
Making charitable donations provides you with a chance to support our community and receive a tax incentive at the same time. If you are wondering how to create a lasting legacy and perhaps bring your family closer together through philanthropic giving please contact our office.