Assisting U.S. Citizens who work & live in Canada

We have extensive experience assisting U.S. citizens who work and live in Canada simplify their cross border finances and understand some of the complexities of their obligations.

Typical questions our clients have include:

  • What kind of bank and investment accounts can I have in Canada?
  • I heard there is special reporting that needs to be done for the IRS - is that true?
  • Is there anything I can't invest in while in Canada?
  • How do I qualify for the Canada Pension Plan? How does that affect my U.S. pensions?
  • How will I be taxed on my pension income?
  • Should I transfer my 401(k)/IRA to Canada?
  • Are my RRSP contributions deductible in the U.S.?
  • If I want to move back to the U.S., what happens to all my Canadian investment accounts?
  • What are my options for financing a purchase of Canadian real estate?
  • What happens when I sell my Canadian real estate? Is it taxable?
  • Do I need a special will to cover my Canadian real estate?
  • Am I subject to U.S. estate tax?

If you've been asking yourself the same questions as many of our clients have, reach out to us and I'd be glad to help.